Line Holder
TonkaF16
Line Holder
close
  • Joined APC
    Jan 2007
  • Position
    F-16
AS far as advice goes, you get what you pay for!
Quote: The reason they wont tell you why is because the reason is they just don't want women around doing a mans job. Flying planes is a mans job and flying fighter planes is a he-mans job. Flying fighters is macho and women are not macho. Comradere is also a big reason. Drinking beers, talking sh!t and chasing LBFM's aint much fun when your wingman is a girl.

I am not a fighter pilot, have never been a fighter pilot but I did stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night. Please don't shoot the messenger....You asked and probably knew this was the answer.

P.S. I am not saying I agree or disagree with my answer.

Sik Please...

DeauceC130 and Hacker both have scorable bombs; the quote above is unqualified at best.

I'm not starting anything here, but if you lead a discussion with "I am not ..." then let someone who actually is qualified speak to the issue before you throw gas on the fire.

Jenn,

I'm a 2,000 fighter guy and a WIC grad. Just like hacker said, no one cares if you take a pee in the urinal or stall #2, BE CREDIBLE by knowing your weapons system, know your threats, and by all means as a new wingman in the squadron never pass up the opportunity to shut the f#@*k up and listen to those that have been there a while. I say this to ALL new fighter pilots not just a young female aspiring to be one.

If you have a chance to fly an airplane that will to mach 2+ and pull nine G's then by all means DO IT. The window of opportunity to strap on (no pun intended) a fighter is brief ans may slam shut before you know it, I would hate for you to look back on your flying career and ever say, "I wonder how it could have been if I ...”

BL:

Work hard
Excel at being a wingman; scheduler, safety officer etc (grow where you are planted)
Don't be an EEO complaint waiting to happen!!!!!!!!!!!!!! No one will talk to you in a social setting if they are afraid a simple misspeak will end that way
DeuceC130 made an excellent point, the military and the flying community promote those with LEADERSHIP and a big part of that is stage presence. If you expect to go anywhere in the fighter world it is absolutely essential that you have what it takes to stand on the stage at a Red Flag and be credible.

Best of luck, PM if you would like specifics about units etc.

OBTW, I am a married father of two, prior enlisted crew chief, never went to the academy, and still have never had a door closed in my face. Let's lose the stereo types already, this is America anyone can do anything

A positive and tenacious attitude goes a very long way. Most of us fall somewhere in the middle of a Gaussian distribution offlying skills, it's work ethic and attitude that is the real differentiator.

Kick butt,

Tonka