View Single Post
Old 04-15-2013, 08:13 AM
bozobigtop
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2009
Position: Left seat of a Jet

Originally Posted by Reservist View Post
I just read an article in the latest flying magazine by Martha Lunken titled "What Goes Around Comes Around, Sometimes the applicant is his own worst enemy"

In the article she goes into detail about her administering a checkride in which she busts an applicant. After distracting the applicant she then tampered with the ADF and changed the frequency inserting the incorrect frequency for the approach. Besides the fact that examiners tuning navigational equipment is specifically disallowed by the PTS, this was a blatant trick used to incite a bust.

Has anyone ever dealt with her? If not have you read the article and are you equally disgusted?

Interesting considering this method of operation was and still used by many old school instructors and examiners alike. I have ran into a few both privately and professionally. The best thing about this happening professionally you can get it addressed through the union or company whereas privately word of mouth will steer the student from this type of examiner. As a pilot who has a A&P, I would love nothing more than to work on the aircraft this examiner is flying and let them figure it out. An aircraft has so many systems and equipment a pilot doesn't need to know the entire details of it's operation in order to be safe.