View Single Post
Old 04-17-2013, 08:14 AM
Yoda2
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2013

Originally Posted by UnderOveur View Post
Another question comes to mind, related to the OP...

When do you begin having such conversations with students?

Don't wanna scare 'em off, but I think most here would agree they need to know this stuff.
That is the age old question. Some instructors are also reluctant to expose students to accelerated stalls and spin recovery training as well for similar reasons. That is just doing the student, their PAX and potentially the public at large a big disservice. I would much rather a student be a little scared and competent that incompetent and dead. The additional knowledge, if presented properly, will lead to increased competence and confidence which will overide the negative effects of fear. Many fears are, in fact, based on the fear of the unknown. At various points during their training and future flying they are going to be scared anyway... As the saying goes "You can't call yourself a pilot unless you have an instrument rating and have scared the _ _ _ _ out of yourself at least three times"... One of the best methods of employing the accident report data is to spoon feed it, vs I'd like you to read all these reports, before we really get started, and become thouroughly freaked out about your decision to become a pilot. You don't want to wait until the end either as the reports can be useful as a training tool; and also that once you are done with them and they have their certificate they are free to do any stupid thing they care. Incorporate the report information as applicable into a particular lesson. For instance, along with a lesson on wake turbulence you can go over a scenario such as the accident at KSNA with the Boeing and the Westwind.