View Single Post
Old 04-17-2013, 09:44 PM
LowSlowT2
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2011

Originally Posted by e6bpilot View Post
Edit-a lot of military flight docs are authorized to do no-joke FAA second and third class medical certificates as well. Ask your local flight surgeon for details.
Last I discussed this with a flight surgeon (which was admittedly about five years ago), he told me they weren't doing this as much anymore. They weren't taking them away from the Flt Surgeons who had them, but Flt Surgeons who wanted to get the authority were finding it difficult to do because of the new rules that recognize the Military Flight Physical as an FAA 3rd Class and the military didn't see a need to pursue it.

I'm admittedly ignorant on what is required and if there is any expense incurred by the service or if the onus is completely on the individual Flt Surgeon, but the impression I got was my Flt Surgeon buddy couldn't get one and it was the USAF that was telling him that.

Regardless, I think it should be the equivalent of a 1st class, but I think the AME lobby prevented that and I'm surprised they made it 3rd class only.