View Single Post
Old 04-18-2013, 03:18 PM
JamesNoBrakes
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2011
Position: Volleyball Player

Originally Posted by kymiller0593 View Post
Hey everybody,

I passed the Initial CFI yesterday and it feels great!! First order of business is take a few weeks and do NOTHING to relax a little bit, but then I'm going to get right into working on the instrument instructor rating. I've heard the ride is fairly simple and straightforward, but I was wondering if everyone could share with me the best ways to prepare for the II checkride.

Thanks,

Ky
There is never a "best way", just be an expert on the PTS and understand it forwards and backwards. You know how to teach, so there's usually less emphasis on teaching in the CFII, but you still have to be able to teach, and it's expected you'll be doing this on the flight too. It's easier than a full instrument checkride IMO, but make sure you know all the little things. There's more tendency these days to skip the "basics" due to glass displays that always show your position on a map, a magenta line, a ground track, etc. Understand your equipment, but also understand the basics like timed turns, compass turns, NDB tracking, and how to teach these things. Impress your examiner with your practical knowledge and application, not the TERPS criteria for an arc.