View Single Post
Old 03-26-2007, 03:34 PM
Pilotpip
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2005
Position: Retired

I think Rickair hit all the important points (as usual). There are some other things to consider.
-Personality: Is it a pilot factory or down-home place where everybody knows your name? I've worked at both and each has its plusses and minuses. Find what fits.

-Costs: I don't care what anybody says, you don't need to do your private training in a brand-new SR-22. A well maintained 1970s 172 flies just as well as a brand new one and will cost at least $20 an hour less.

-Go with somebody that's been in business for a long time. The owner should be a pilot, but there should be somebody whos doing the books as well. You know the jokes about pilots and money...

-Busier the airport, longer time on the ground. Longer you're on the ground, more you spend.

-Last, but not least, find an instructor that you work well with. Also don't waste a rainy day. Go in and do some ground instruction. Your instructor will appreciate the pay on a rainy day and you'll be much better prepared for the upcoming flights as well as the practical exam which will in the long run save money.

LAFF, you got burned by one FBO but you'll find that there is a school out there that will cater to your needs, and you'll leave a happy customer. In many cases you'll be able to get your ratings for much less at a private school yet often can be had in a short duration like you could at an academy yet you won't have to sacrifice your life. A couple nights a week after work and a few hours on the weekend is much easier than living out of a hotel room for 6 months.