View Single Post
Old 04-22-2013, 04:24 PM
LeineLodge
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2008
Position: DAL FO

Originally Posted by GunshipGuy View Post
I'm curious what my LEC would do if I had come with a resolution advocating for the exact opposite of the one which is pushing for even less flying by more senior pilots. When I wrote my LEC and the SOT about the new reserve rules over a year ago I was told by a SOT member that he had heard from junior pilots, but not from senior pilots complaining about the new system. But apparently the voices of the junior pilots didn't matter.
Did you go to the meeting and vote on the resolution?

There was not one single dissenting vote on that resolution as written...

Edit: To clarify - I don't mean to come across as a smarta$$. There were a few concerns, but the point regarding that resolution was that anything that moves towards spreading the flying requires less manning (ie bad for the group as a whole). Anything that moves towards pure seniority requires more pilots (ie good for the group as a whole). That was the gist of the discussion, and after a few concerns were addressed, it passed without a nay in the bunch.

I will follow up with your "LEC" is made up of a new group of pilots (well 3 of 4 are new) and they will listen to your concerns. If you haven't spoken with your new reps that began in March, I suggest you get ahold of them. Also, if you have a concern, put forth a resolution, pack the room with like-minded pilots, and forward your agenda to the MEC. That's how it's supposed to work.

One final thought - just because a resolution passes the LEC level, doesn't mean that it becomes part of our contract. All that it means is that a majority of the pilots that happened to be at that particular LEC meeting saw it fit to direct their local reps to bring up the issue at the MEC level. If it continues to gain momentum at that point, it will likely undergo several changes before being sent to the Negotiating Committee, who will then take it to the company when the opportunity presents itself, at which time the company may tell us to pound sand. Bottom line, one resolution passing at the LEC level is no cause for immediate concern. However, it is how things get done in a bottom up system.