View Single Post
Old 04-22-2013, 05:04 PM
LeineLodge
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2008
Position: DAL FO

Originally Posted by Mem9guy View Post
Read your edit...

I don't think that the smartest way to require more staffing is to create a way for senior reserves to take the month off.

I also think that on the 7ER resolution that if a 767 pilot chose to displace to an international category then they knew what they were getting in to. If you are not willing to fly international, bid another airplane.

I understand the resolution process, and I have emailed my reps with my thoughts on these. I was wanting to get some feedback on here just to see what others thought of them.
WRT the seniority on reserve issue, the reason the discrepancy is so apparent right now is we are overstaffed in several categories (and in the slow part of the year.) Once they finally get rid of the overstaffing, which this latest AE did a good deal of, most reserves will be flying most of the time. There won't be guys "taking the month off", especially once we get into summer flying.

I get that junior guys don't like flying when they see senior guys not doing anything - I've been there. The point was made at the meeting that the more we spread the flying evenly (like going back to no bucket system, or making the buckets smaller) the fewer pilots will be required in each category, thus the most junior guy that's ****ed because he's junior and flying all the time, won't be needed anymore and he would fall off to be more senior in a lower category. Not being doomsday, just simply pointing out that staffing inefficiencies are a good thing for the group as a whole.

We all need to ask ourselves, especially the junior guys - Do I dislike the buckets because they are fundamentally hurting the pilot group? Or do I dislike them because someone else is getting a good deal and I'm not?

I'm personally in favor of completely getting rid of the buckets and days of availability groups and going to straight seniority. I'd also like to see a hard cap and/or bow-wave type system. Anything that allows the company greater access to our productivity should be minimized IMO. Anything else, like smaller buckets, is giving a concession to the company.