View Single Post
Old 04-22-2013, 05:15 PM
LeineLodge
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2008
Position: DAL FO

Originally Posted by GunshipGuy View Post
Seriously, not trying to be one here either, but you said not a single dissenting vote was made. How many people were there? How many were in the bottom half of reserve seniority (i.e. weren't working on a 16-day beard? ,<<joke). I'm curious if any LEC members helped a 44 member work on this resolution or had an idea it would be brought forward. Wouldn't it behoove members if there was some advance notice as to what resolutions were expected to be discussed? Seems to me that if you plan on proposing a resolution it should have to be put on the agenda so everyone knows about it.

But I do know that our LEC and the SOT got an earful from pilots who did not like the SOT's actions regarding the bucket system. You would think that would have at least been taken into consideration or discussed. Was it? I personally don't think what you described is how it should work; the LEC should consider the interests of more than just those who are able to make the meeting.
There were some concerns but they were addressed prior to the vote taking place, and no one said "nay." I'd estimate maybe 40-60 pilots were there (out of ~4000).

Both sides were discussed, and I did not get the impression that this was being snuck in under the radar. By the accounts of several guys in the room there was a good representation of "bottom half" reserve guys.

I agree with your idea of posting the agenda ahead of time. It would give guys an extra incentive to show up if they felt strongly about one or more of the resolutions on the docket. It would be nice to see that in the future.

As far as the vote goes, the reps do not get to decide what is brought for as a resolution. They could completely disagree with the resolution, but if they are directed to act by the members that show up that day, they have no choice. They may personally agree with your concerns, but are now compelled to take this resolution to the MEC for further consideration. That's why it's so important to attend the meetings if one feels strongly about an issue (not directed at you GG).

Emails & phone calls are great to provide feedback, and that feedback is taken into consideration when they are voting themselves at the MEC level, but they only moderate the discussion that leads to a vote at the LEC meetings - they don't direct themselves, but instead receive direction (via resolution) by those physically present at the meeting.

Interestingly, a pilot at the meeting suggested that he would like to see meetings take place online so more pilots could participate/vote. That's another concept that I think should be explored seriously.