View Single Post
Old 04-24-2013, 07:07 PM
forgot to bid
veut gagner à la loterie

Joined APC: Apr 2008
Position: Light Chop

Originally Posted by scambo1 View Post
This is not a defense of scabs:

My understanding of the CAL scab situation is that there were true picket line crossing scabs who crossed early. Then there were scabs that fought the good fight, lost everything and crossed much later (a year or more) to put food on the table. Then there was a third group who were told by ALPA - at some level- MEC, LEC or some other level to return to work and they were labeled scabs as well.

I don't know many CAL pilots except a hunting buddy. He says CAL pilots generally made peace with their scabs (in at least the 2 later groups).

When I was at UAL, there was no peace made with the scabs. It was wierd for a fresh off AD guy (me) to deal with it, mostly because the whole (union/airline) thing was so new to me.

Today, with codeshares and sub-contractors, some union and some non-union, it seems to me that flying struck work is a very cloudy picture - to be taken on a flight-by-flight basis. Even then it is unclear to me how to tell if someone is flying struck work.
I think the 83 guys AND gals are called super scabs and then there is a group called scratch backs and crawl backs. I dont remember the classification. I just remember there is some differences and there is something to the ALPA says its over but in reality they were still labeled as such. Basically there are differences.

CAL was made up of a lot of different groups who hated each other. But despite their differences they came together... to hate Coex.