View Single Post
Old 04-26-2013, 03:40 PM
XHooker
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2008

Originally Posted by Sputnik View Post
Fred, I completely understand what you're saying, while I don't live it (yet hopefully) I 100% get that seniority is everything. That said, is hiring more likely in Jan or June? I really do enjoy what I'm doing, another 6 months of it would be fun. I'm essentially in a non-deployable billet and could 7 day opt if that status changed.
Take Fred, Heavy and Fat Boy's words to heart. Six months was the difference between me keeping a line and all of my buds in my reserve unit from my company being furloughed. This story repeats itself throughout history and into the future on a never ending loop with only the names changing. I'm sympathetic you like your job, but the hiring is beginning. If you think you want to wait until more are hiring, it definitely improves your chances of going right from a government paycheck to airline paycheck, but seniority is everything in the airlines.

I'm honestly not sure I could stomach the regional world. It makes sense but I'm not sure I could do that. It's not arrogance--I don't think the majors are lining up to hire me. But if I can't get to a major I'd probably find something outside aviation.
The reserves aren't an option for you, so you'll need a flying job to fall back on for currency in case a major doesn't hire you right away.