View Single Post
Old 04-30-2013, 09:45 AM
gloopy
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2010
Position: window seat

Originally Posted by flyallnite View Post
I agree and I hope we don't see this either. I think we currently have a very sophisticated and established revenue management system. This system seems like a way for the airlines that are flying around a lot of empty inventory (Emirates, Virgin Atlantic) to make some extra cash on the already money losing flights. We are making money. I can't see why this would make us more.
I agree with you, although this "idea" is cut from the same cloth as the "capacity dicipline/shrink to profitability/cannibalize your own network" one we've been practicing without an exit stratedgy for years. When you burn the furniture to heat the house, the house does stay warm. For a while.

While it appears we *may* have accepted the end of the capacity canibalization quarterly smash gravy train, I could see a 40% chance of us trying this in one form or another. There's always someone standing to benefit from a popup bonus for short term good ideas that end up being bad long term. But bonuses don't have to be given back, do they?