View Single Post
Old 05-01-2013, 07:21 PM
cardiomd
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2009
Position: Seat: Vegan friendly faux leather

Was referring to the 2020 mandate for ADS-B out for entry to Bravo and Charlie space... this rule will suddenly make "almost everybody" have the ADS-B equipment, so somebody with the receiver will have much better position information as a general rule, hopefully preventing stuff like this with the near realtime update and dramatic improvement in accuracy for equipped planes. Maybe not "completely solve" the problem, but significantly help.

Challenges abound with FAA?s ?ADS-B Out? mandate

Not sure if this timeline has been changed, quite a while since I looked into it as I decided it wasn't prime time yet, but from what you're saying ADS-B out rebroadcast coverage is coming along nicely so I will again look into it. I want to upgrade my 182 to something else eventually so will eventually just do it at that time.

I didn't get the ADS plugin/upgrade yet primarily because of economics, I looked into it when I first entered to my current partnership but it didn't make sense. I think it was over $10,000 for the G1000 upgrade. I have TIS though and coverage around most places locally, which is nice but obviously going to be discontinued.

Totally agreed with everything said above. I had a fellow doctor-pilot I was flying with yawn and say "oh, so nice to not have to worry about other planes with flight following," on a perfect Saturday afternoon. I squirmed a little bit and focused out the window.