View Single Post
Old 05-06-2013, 08:09 AM
MaxQ
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2009

Sunvox,
My take as to "whose fault", for what it's worth.
Prior to 1984 or so (I might be off a year or 2), it wasn't allowed for one airline to pretend to be another in the booking/res systems. (a few commuters flew as "Allegheny Commuter", but did not have full booking in the res system, they were still listed as their own airline).
Then as part of the whole "get regulations off our backs" philosophy it was decided that JoeAirline could pretend to be BobAirline. A profound change in regulatory philosophy.American immediately signed up Simmons Airlines to be
American Eagle
in the res system. United signed up Air Wisconsin (the original Air Wisc, not the one flying today) complete with their 100 seat Bae 146's. And the rest is history.
As usual the decisions to make the regulatory environment more business friendly has had a huge impact on the people who work for these businesses. What has ensued is Unions trying to keep airline mgmts from outsourcing every flying job to a lower bidder, then outsourcing them to an even lower bidder, etc. Some MEC's have had more success than some others, but it all stems from changes made in how the game is played.
Mgmt is merely doing what is to be expected in a free market system. Unions (ie us) are just trying to mitigate the damage to our livelihoods. As long as supply exceeds demand(in regards pilot numbers) and we have a preponderance of anti labor judges(for the various legal challenges) the advantage rests with the mgmt side.
As said, just my take, for what it's worth.

(they only call it class warfare when we fight back)