View Single Post
Old 05-08-2013, 06:26 AM
Bucking Bar
Can't abide NAI

Joined APC: Jun 2007
Position: Douglas Aerospace post production Flight Test & Work Around Engineering bulletin dissembler

First bit of advice. You must not "wait for x-airline to call," they won't. If you aren't wondering whether your dream airline's HR manager is consider a restraining order to keep you and your buddies from bothering them, then you are not trying hard enough. At your age, you have to be on the front of a wave. You need to beat the door down. You already know this, but just for others who might benefit.

At your age, you should be able to fill in a resume better than the average 25 year old. IMHO anyone who understands the task of Part 91 Corporate flying respects the fact that you are dispatch / safety / compliance and sometime maintenance departments all wrapped up in one person. As you know, that is not how the airlines operate, but, to me it says you know something more about the other departments flight ops works with than candidates who don't have that sort of experience.

Second, you can run some pretty reasonable spreadsheets based on current contracts posted here on APC. Don't forget to make inflation corrections since loss of income now makes for a larger figure to make it up in real present dollar values. Also include the 401K and benefits, which tend to be MUCH MUCH better at the major carriers. For many of the senior ($125,000+) regional pilots it makes no sense to go to some majors at age 40.

In your case, I don't think you stand much to lose by looking at some majors and perhaps even overseas contract work if you are up for adventure.

I am guessing you resigned your seniority at US Air. They've got some incredibly junior Captain positions on the E190.