Thread: Bum or Regional?

Pancake , 05-09-2013 06:01 PM
Gets Weekends Off
Pancake
Gets Weekends Off
close
  • Joined APC
    Mar 2010
Quote: You'll make $3-4000/mo bumming if you just maxed out your TP's and UTA's.

Depending on your bid seniority and how fast you become a line holder, you could be making $4-5000/mo at year 2 and beyond by flying for a regional and working Guard on some of your days off...if you have the energy, as that is a lot of work (I know from personal experience).

Depends on your family situation and finances how you want to work that.

However, you will build time twice as fast going to a regional. Again, you need to evaluate your goals and also if you'll lengthen your time to upgrade in the Guard by flying more civilian and less mil.

People will say that 121 SIC time will do you no good. 100% false. You already "Check the Box" as Mil Pilot...you need hours however you can get them, and at 3000 TT regardless of Turbine PIC you will start to get looks from majors.

If you are at a busy Guard Unit....I would continue bumming. BUT if yours is like most units and having a very un-happy sequester (cancelling locals, no MPA trips), it is valid to look at regionals. You will take a (big) hit in year 1 though...might be a good time to deploy (again) and not spend the money that you just took home from this deployment.
The OP has about 2000 TT, 300 of which is in the Herk. Would you give different advice to a military pilot with say... 2200 TT, 1800 of which is ME TPIC (including IP and FE time)?