Thread: New CFI
View Single Post
Old 05-11-2013, 11:32 AM
Ewfflyer
Flying Farmer

Joined APC: Jul 2006
Position: Turbo-props' and John Deere's

The hardest thing for a new/young CFI is to literally "Let Go." You will find yourself riding the controls, helping more than you should, but as you gain experience and self awareness of your teaching and skills as a CFI, you will gain that confidence to just let the student mess up(within obvious reason).

People gain experience from their mistakes, not yours, so let them make them. So I thought I'd share my all time favorite mistake, which is base-to-final turn where they overshoot, add in rudder and opposing aileron.

I tell them to go around, then head out to the practice area. Set up the same scenario, and tell them you want to see them go to slow flight and cross-control in the turn. Every single one clam's up on me and says they can't do that because of a spin. Amazingly the light goes off!!! I taught in C152's and C172's, and I wasn't afraid of spins, so we would then demonstrate a full spin(or entry for the 172's) and recovery. I would always point out the altitude loss and the fact they wouldn't have a chance at a recovery before they would hit the dirt. Practical demonstrations are key to learning!!!!!

Best of luck to you