View Single Post
Old 05-15-2013, 08:17 AM
CleCapt
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2012

Originally Posted by Sunvox View Post
First, the purpose of using longevity is to compare UAL pilot longevity to CAL longevity not to compare CAL to CAL and this can only work if longevity is calculated in the same manner. Any express time or prior carrier time included in the CAL longevity unfairly raises their longevity.

Second, if you take the Merger Policy to a lawyer (as I have) you will find that the words "considered" and "shall include" imply that longevity must be "used". It doesn't say anything about how much nor does it disallow "other" items to be considered, but longevity MUST BE part of the equation in some form or another even if it is only .001% part of the equation so therefore, ergo, QED the UAL committee needs to come up with an apples to apples longevity formula to be fair, and it IS unfair that the CAL MEC is not helping, but seems intent on arguing that it can't be done and is irrelevant when in fact it is one of only 3 items which are specifically mentioned in the ALPA Merger policy.
You said the SAME thing I did. Longevity could well be .0001% and still be CONSIDERED. At .0001%, it would effectively have no bearing on how the list looks.

CAL MEC is considering the list as it is at CAL. You may not like/agree with how the list came about, but again, we didn't ask UAL how to build the list in the 90's.

As far as your lawyer and legal definitions. I think the language ( English ) speaks for itself. I don't run off to a lawyer with the merger policy in hand at $500 an hour asking for explanations. Maybe you have a lawyer friend you asked about this, and of course he will give you the answer you want.

The CAL list is a NUMERICAL list. Numbers on a list that will not be reordered.

I don't see punishing the CAL pilots for either how the list was constructed, or for the the actions of the respective MEC's that some ( on both sides ) feel were less than the whole story.

Each side is "bending" the truth. Both sides have been caught with inaccuracies. Don't for 1 second believe that the UAL side is going to provide a list that is "FAIR" in the eyes of LCAL pilots.

I think we are all being drug down to a new low, and even after the list is put together it will take a LONG time before for each group to forget where they came from and start working TOGETHER.