Thread: Pilot Perks
View Single Post
Old 03-29-2007, 11:50 AM
ryane946
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2005
Position: FO, looking left

My mom works for a legacy airline (not a pilot) and I have experienced all these benefits first hand.

Obviously the biggest perk is being able to fly anywhere for free (or VERY cheap). I have flown on the airliner maybe 300+ times in my life, and most of that was free, only recently a small service charge of about 1 penny per mile ($25 to New York). If you check the loads and fly at the right time, you can often get first class. Hotels and rental cars are the things you get the biggest discounts on. My parents have gotten $250+ hotel rooms for like $80 a night. Good rental cars for like $20 a day. Also, there are some interline deals on cruises. Most airports give 10% discount on food for airport employees.

Some other benefits are with major corporations doing business with that airline. For example, Sprint (Nextel) provides service for company cell phones. Therefore, employees of that airline get a 25% discount on sprint phone plans. That is like $12 a month for me...$144 a year...$1,440 over 10 years...you see the idea. We also get a good discount on FedEx shipping. There are some other corporations with these type of deals, but I cannot think of them off the top of my head.

Last edited by ryane946; 03-30-2007 at 08:41 AM.