Thread: Silver Airways
View Single Post
Old 05-16-2013, 02:56 PM
What
Underpaid...

Joined APC: Nov 2010
Position: French-Canadian

Originally Posted by sandrich View Post
Ok, I know everyone's up in arms with this ATP-Seminole thing. I did some research:
-As of Aug 1, 2013, everyone needs an ATP (duh, we all know that)
-Silver plans on getting all FOs their ATP in a Seminole at ATP locations (I know many dont care for this, but it is what it is, I honestly couldn't care)
-NPRM proposes all SICs to have an ATP with appropriate type rating
-The NPRM also reads "Requiring an SIC to train to the level of proficiency necessary to obtain a type rating would ensure the SIC has been evaluated to the same standard as the PIC"
-In April, the DOT released a NPRM publish date of 7/26/2013
-The NPRM just left the Office of the Secretary and is now in the Office of Management and Budget (they have 90 days to review and submit a final rule, pushing back the publish date to 7/31/2013...the day before the ATP rule takes effect)
-It seems that although many are strongly against the NPRM, it will in fact get approved, and an ATP and full type rating could be required...

I guess the elephant in the room here is-- will our worthless SIC type ratings suffice to what the FAA calls an "appropriate type rating"? If not, this Seminole thing is a complete waste.
Remember that this is a Notice of Proposed Rule making, that we are 10 weeks away and we still don't have actual guidance, neither do the airlines. They will issue the guidance but the airlines are likely to get a grace period since most airlines are not offering an Unrestricted Type rating and enforcing this proposed rule would cripple the feed.

That's if they don't blame it on not having the staffing due to sequester, budget restrains.