Old 05-18-2013, 07:57 AM
Mink
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2006

Originally Posted by Jetjok View Post
I believe that regardless of those who say that the only thing that matters in a job is the paycheck, and that they don't go to work to get attaboys, or BZ's, or friendship, or love, or respect, etc, everyone wants their workplace and the company they work for to: 1) value them as an employee; 2) value their opinion and listen when they have something to say; 3) provide a clean, safe, non-adversarial environment in which they can grow as an employee, and feel that their contribution both benefits the company and is noticed by their employer. 4) there's a number of other things that go into making a company a good one to work for.

That said, and from a lot of personal experience and observation, I believe that if the employee feels that the above "needs" are being met, then they would be less inclined to demand more in the way of pay and other benefits. Of course parity with others in the specific industry, doing like work comes into play, but assuming one is making a reasonable wage and benefit package for the occupation involved in, and at the same time they feel good about their company, and their company is treating them well, they would be much more content than someone who feels that their company doesn't appreciate them, and treats them badly. I firmly believe that's why many of the guys at UPS feel that they are working for a lousy company. It's not always only about the money. However, if everything else is lousy and change for the better is not on the horizon, than it's all about the money to offset all the bad stuff.
I think they call that "SWA" (or at least they used to)