Thread: jetBlue Hiring
View Single Post
Old 05-27-2013, 01:38 PM
Flyby1206
SDQ Base Chief

Joined APC: Mar 2006
Position: 320 CA

Originally Posted by 402DRVR View Post
That's good info. If I am lucky enough to get the call in the next couple months I am wondering which equipment would be better to bid. Obviously the bus pays more after year one, but it is about more than pay.

I am hoping to be BOS based as it is an easy drive from my home. New York's about 3.5 so not really able to sit reserve at home. If one bids the bus and gets JFK, is there any idea how long it would take to get to BOS. Or, alternatively, to hold a line? Same for the 190.

Not that pay s unimportant but I am looking for the greatest QOL meaning more time home as we have a daughter due next month. What other factors would some of you JetBlue guys consider in bidding aircraft?

Thanks for any info. While I'm at it, what is training like these days, length of time, opportunity to travel home, etc. Thanks
First off, congrats on the baby next month.

If you are eventually looking to sit reserve in BOS and enjoy the QOL then I would recommend the 320. At least you would be getting more $$ at 75hrs/month on reserve compared to the E190.

My class was all JFK 320. I spent about 6 months total on the line in JFK before I started in BOS. Even being on reserve in JFK I was able to stay home in BOS on days when I had long call (more common in the Sept-March months). Commuting BOS-JFK on reserve isnt too bad in my opinion. Lines in JFK 320 typically happen fast (6-8 months). The 190 in BOS is about the same wait to hold a line.

Ive been bidding reserve since I got hired, and have been averaging about 40-50hrs a month in BOS on the 320. QOL is definitely great, but 75hrs pay could be better.

Training is about 6.5 weeks. If I remember correctly you get a break of 3-4 days about halfway through. I also went home a few weekends without too much difficulty. You get travel benefits the 1st week of class. I am sure some of the more recent newhires can add details.

Hope this helps, shoot me a message if anyone has more questions. Good luck.