View Single Post
Old 05-29-2013, 02:49 AM
MacGuy2
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2007
Position: Couch Potato

Originally Posted by Dadof6 View Post
Couple of suggestions:

1. If you've cleared security, and have access to the business/first class lounge, most of them have Wi-Fi & will give you the password.

2. Next, in many terminals if outside security, you can buy a card at a store/kiosk for airport's Wi-Fi access (think I did this in DUB once). It taught me to bring a foldable USB headset so I could Skype from my laptop in a public place (pre-iPhone). These stores will also sell you a straight phone card (use company card) and direct you to a phone. Cheaper than # 3 below.

3. Last resort--find a "pay" phone that takes credit cards, use your company card, and call Crew Control. Did this in CDG on a Christmas Day snowstorm when Air France cancelled their whole schedule, AND Skype was overloaded & couldn't connect. Total of 3 calls, about 15 minutes, about $150 expensed on the next expense report. Crew Control absolute champs. Rebuilt pairing, hotel for the night, and new DH the next day.

Any other ideas out there?
I think where I'm really trying to go with this question, is how to actually use the phone itself. It's the country codes and whatever else you have to punch in to call back to the US, or to even call a ramp number in the country where you presently are located. If the Company's going to buy the call, then I'm not to worried about saving the last nickel...I just want to make the call!

I appreciate the other suggestions, BTW.

MG2