View Single Post
Old 05-29-2013, 09:34 AM
USMCFLYR
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2008
Position: FAA 'Flight Check'

Originally Posted by mpilot153 View Post
I looked back at some of your posts and saw where you said you had a bunch of helo time, and 500 fw time. In this particular case, I think its a gamble either way. Some of the other mil guys talking here already have close to 2000 jet pic - as they already exceed the mins at the majors, they need a placeholder to maintain currency.

Either choice you make, the bulk of your next hours will be SIC time. At the regional, you will get the 121 stamp, and flying something with MGTOW 40k+. Going to L3, your time will be SIC, no 121 stamp, you will probably upgrade quicker, but MGTOW < 12.5klbs - but you will be able to pay your electricity bill, and then some.

If the goal is to fly for the Majors, I'd give some serious consideration to the regional. Probably worth sitting down with the EC guys + Judy and ask their thoughts - they've seen the types of resumes that get picked over the years.
I would agree with mpilot in this case regarding the applicability of the L3 King Air job when it comes to usefulness towards a major/legacy P121 job.
Having already met all of the minumums with regard to TT, TPIC, and ME time - I see it as a good flying job that will keep you building time in most, if not all, of the blocks above - plus it seems to be interesting interview fodder.

If you are struggling to make the TT mins, FW mins, or any other category of required times to be competitive for a legacy P121 job I would think that it would have some serious limitations. In this case - I think getting the P121 smell on your resume would be more beneficial - but that is just my guess as i have not walked in those shoes.

One small correction though to mpilot's post; I think that L3 flies all KA350s with a MGTOW of 15,000#s - not that it would matter much for the purposes of this discussion, but it could be the difference between a formal training program and a type rating.