View Single Post
Old 05-30-2013, 08:11 PM
JamesNoBrakes
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2011
Position: Volleyball Player

Originally Posted by Hawker445 View Post
Well next Wednesday i'm going to get through the hardest rating of all.
I just have ot deal with finishing my stage check flight, i'm been flying like **** lately....

Any tips and experiences?
Kind of hard to know what you are saying here.

One thing that has always amazed me is how instructors will teach the basics and then later on they'll teach stuff that totally conflicts with the basics they just taught. They'll tell you how to scan, how to watch the attitude indicator, WHEN to watch the attitude indicator, and then they'll tell you to flip all kinds of dials and switches and read approaches while you are in turns. You basically get in the habit of not looking at the most critical times this way and overloading yourself, rather than prioritizing, working in tasks in the straight-aways when you can, asking for extra time or prompting ATC yourself (and early), and so on. This management and scan aspect is one of the weakest areas I always see and it seems that once people make it past the "basics" there is hardly any notice given to ensure those are still being followed while everything else is added on top. The point is, those basics are what you have to do all the time, and you have to do them like they were taught initially. Once you stop doing that, your flying usually goes to hell and gets to be all over the place. Flying the aircraft is number one, but a lot harder than it sounds sometimes.

Otherwise, planning and thinking ahead is key. Never try to do anything by the time you need to do it, get it done before!