View Single Post
Old 05-31-2013, 01:58 PM
stripecheck
Line Holder

Joined APC: May 2012
Position: 757

Ill give you a brief run down as I was in a situation where I was asking this question. I graduated and had my CMEL and like 195 hrs and an interview at ASA at the time. Passed the interview in ATL got the handshake from D.R. down there and then low and behold they furloughed like 150 people and my butt is sitting in a hiring pool. No telling how long it would be. I asked one of the team managers or supervisors or what have you at Riddle for a CFI program and they told me 6 month wait for an instructor plus the program took about a year if I recall. I went across the field in Prescott mind you and inquired about doing my CFI there. It was notably cheaper! I also got my rating in a month or so and started working as a CFI teaching private pilots while I worked on my CFII and MEI and they slowly gave me more students. Once I passed my MEI (all of this took till about 2 1/2 months while working part time at the same place) I had a boat load of students and a steady albeit small paycheck as one can expect from being an instructor.
Yes the training at ERAU is great but don't think that FBO training can't also be great. I used all my materials from school. Even syllabus, maneuvers guides, cheat sheets etc. from ERAU for all of my part 61 students. (141 u need to stick to the program) You paid a ton of money for access to all of those resources and you should continue to use them even if you don't train or work there anymore. You don't have to lower your standards if you go to ATP or another FBO come in prepared like you always have and you will fly through your courses. Those folks like high standards too! I have interviewed at like 5 airlines now and received offers from every one of them. Nobody has ever asked me about where I was a CFI because I'm assuming they really don't care. Your first interview at an airline will consist of WHAT you did as an instructor rather than WHERE. Get the rating wherever you can get it quickly, economically, and hopefully get a job there after. Don't forget to try to shoot for someplace you can get multi time too! Build your time and then GTFO! (unless you want to instruct as a career...not trying to look down on that it just isn't for me)