Thread: Skywest
View Single Post
Old 06-06-2013, 12:48 PM
Electra
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2012

Originally Posted by JustAMushroom View Post
Somehow they are going to slide this soft time pay difference in there. No way no how is SGU going to pay 900 rates for sim /deadhead. Either they reduce DH and training by 50% or they tie it to some other matrix.

Also, if the fence is high the plane is going to go very junior. If you can pu/drop trips or adjust your schedule between 230+/- CRJ's why risk a serious reduction in QOL on 40 planes (especially while they slowly come on line) just for a slight bump in pay. And, another training event which can torpedo any chance at a Legacy if you happen to choke on a sim check or oral. The risk v reward just isn't there. Let the new guys take the chances.
Wow, are ya'll getting way ahead of yourselves on this! First of all, we don't even know what the company's opening offer is on pay since meetings haven't even begun yet. Let's worry about that when we actually have something to whine about, shall we? (I know, I know, what else would we do here, right?) Second, UAL hasn't even informed SkyWest where they'd like the 175 based out of. Reliable intel says we'll know sometime next week or the week after. If by some miracle it ends up being on the Left Coast I can assure you it will not go "junior", whatever you think that means. Right now it takes just about 7 years senority to hold an RJ Captain spot, period. If IAH or ORD is in the mix then it will be more junior. If we open IAD, they'll have to bribe anyone who didn't get hired after 2007 and who doesn't already think they were entitled to a fourth stripe 5 years ago. If they put the 175 anywhere there is a current RJ domicile, and shrink the RJ domicile accordingly, it will not be so much an issue of having fewer trips to swap out for but more about maintaining your ability to be based where you are currently. How is that for a QOL consideration?

What kind of "high fence" do you guys think will emerge? I expect the company will do what it has always done; if you have had a training event (newhire, upgrade or transition) in the last 12 months, you will be seat-locked and ineligible for a training award. So the only question will be for those now eligible to transition 120 to CRJ or coming on as newhires, whether they'll risk waiting for a 175 class instead, which, by the way, I wouldn't. This isn't the first go-round for SkyWest adding a new fleet type, we'll use our people, probably get an AQP program just like we have for our other types, and do things the right way. I wouldn't stress too much about the FAA looking over our shoulders.