View Single Post
Old 06-09-2013, 06:03 PM
propfails2FX
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2007
Position: FO

The gist I got from another forum was civilian three piloted crews log all time as either SIC for FO's and IRO's, or PIC for the Captain.

If I logged my P-3 Special Crew Time (bunk time) in this fashion, it would add 600 hours to my total time.

Logtenpro won't let me log more PIC time than total time (I put Total Pilot Time into my Total Time column and left out Special Crew Time), so I have a note to add another 176 hours to my METPIC time.

Big deal? Not for TT, but when I count all of the Aircraft Commander (PIC) time from my P-3 days, the METPIC in aircraft over 12,500 lbs comes to 1030 hours. So those 9 hour flights of which I was PIC were logged accordingly: 6 Total Pilot, 3 First Pilot, 3 Copilot, 3 Special Crew, 9 Aircraft Commander.

I can clearly justify this following the Part 1 definition of PIC, but logging 9 hours of SIC time on 9 hour flights I wasn't AC, gets murky.

I can see how someone just below the TT threshold for a company would want to log military three pilot crew time like augmented crew civilian operators. Maybe checking with a sponsor who works at the desired company would be the best approach.