View Single Post
Old 06-13-2013, 06:01 AM
reCALcitrant
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: May 2006

Originally Posted by UAL T38 Phlyer View Post
I thought all the UPT Reserve Squadrons paid travel (mine did), but found out some don't. There is also a limit on how many paid travels you get a year......not sure what it currently stands at (I'm back on active-duty). I think it used to be one per month.

As far as how much you can make: from 2005-2008, I worked almost as much as a full-timer--I could get all that I asked for. Now? Guys are lucky to get 5-6 days a month. It depends on how many Man-Days the squadrons are allocated, and under the current fiscal constraints, it is almost zip.

My best estimate (and again, I'm not in the Reserves any more) is 6 days a month of UTA, TP, and some of your AT. You can look up the pay rates for your rank and figure the rest.

Bottom line: used to be one could trough and make a living off of it; now it is just a supplement (but gives great flexibility to airline living).
In these tough fiscal times we've had one trougher get 270 man days. Obviously, it depends on how many hogs are eating the trough. We only have a couple. I think it's funny that all the doom and gloom and sequestration blah blah blah happened again, and nothing changed. Standard. I've seen it for 13 years in AFRC. At the end of this year, there will be a large drop of man days. Surprise.