View Single Post
Old 04-02-2007, 10:50 AM
coldpilot
DisplAAced

Joined APC: Mar 2006
Position: EMB-145 FO

Originally Posted by SongMan View Post
[PHP][/PHP]

I really appreciate your help. So it's great tool to determine the power setting/leaning amount.
I read on FAR part 91.205 that each altitude engine requires MP gage. Isn't Cessna 152 equipped with altitude engine? However I never saw a MP gage on 152.
Read the FARs it defines an altitude engine as:

"Altitude engine means a reciprocating aircraft engine having a rated takeoff power that is producible from sea level to an established higher altitude."

In other words it would be a turbocharged reciprocating engine. Last time I checked a 152 isn't turbocharged. A majority of those definitions are found in Part 1 of the FARs. Some are found in the begining of different parts such as 61 and 91.

So as an example, the Cherokee Arrow has a constant speed propeller. With this it also has a manifold pressure gauge. The propeller control sets the RPM of the propeller as the pilot desires and the throttle will control the manifold pressure (power setting). If we go out to the airplane and find that the manifold pressure gauge is inop we can still go flying provided it is not listed in the type certificate data sheet, airwothiness directives, and the kinds of operations list for the aircraft. It is not listed in any one of these documents and our engine is turbocharged so it is not an altitude engine. All we must do then is determine if we can make the flight safely and then placard and deactivate the MP gauge and we're good to go. Now some Arrows do have turbocharged engines so just watch out and know the systems associated with the specific aircraft you are flying!

Kind of a long explanation but hope it clears some things up!