View Single Post
Old 06-15-2013, 06:55 PM
Noseeums
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2008

Originally Posted by Aero1900 View Post
I was curious what percentage of the regional airline pilot workforce would be required to cover the upcoming mandatory retirements at the majors. To do this, I did my best to estimate the total number of regional airline pilots and the number of mandatory age 65 retirements in the next five years.

I came up with approximately 21,000 reqional pilots and 6,500 age 65 retirements. Obviously these numbers can only be so accurate, but I did the best I could with what is available. When you crunch the numbers you get about 30%. So, less than 1/3 of the current regional pilots could cover all of the jobs at the majors for the next five years.

This does not account for military, corporate and charter pilots who will also be applying for the major airline jobs. There are many variables at play here, however I think this provides at least a glimps at what the future holds for regional pilots trying to get on at the majors.

Thoughts?
I think I'm just amazed that a pilot can do math at all.

You're spot on though. There's no shortage coming. Just some normal hiring followed by crushing stagnation again.