Prime Minister/Moderator
rickair7777
Prime Minister/Moderator
close
  • Joined APC
    Jan 2006
  • Position
    Engines Turn Or People Swim
Quote: As a corporate pilot with jet PIC time, I am hoping to get on with United. Here are some basic questions as I have no airline experience...
Not a UAL type but I'm awake for some reason so here's some general airline answers...

Quote: 1. Would it be possible to get Chicago right off the bat since that is their headquarters? If not, where would I likely end up?
Has nothing to do with being HQ, and everything to do with how desirable the base is to other pilots. Usually large east coast bases are most junior, then midwest, then mountain west, with west coast being most senior (in somne cases the mountain bases can be more senior). Smaller niche bases may have their own thing going on, so this thumb rule may not apply in all cases. Since ORD is commutable from the west coast, there may be west coast commuters headed there as well.

Quote: 3. I have a youngster at home...if I commute will I have any family life or at the start while on reserve and commuting do you spend all your time off traveling back and forth to work?
Typically, this would depend on the nature of the commute. A difficult, multi-leg commute would see you spending your days off commuting...ie arrive home the day after work, do laundry, go to bed, leave again in the am. This assumes days off in two-day blocks which is typical, with some three day blocks.

Quote: 4. How many days are you typically on vs off? (For a commuter where on is sitting at an airport away from family waiting on a call)
Off 11-12 days is typical, although there may also be some long-call days where you could sit reserve at home if the flight schedule to domicile is robust enough.