View Single Post
Old 06-23-2013, 10:36 AM
Whooosah
Line Holder

Joined APC: Mar 2010
Position: CFI/CFII

This is great advice and for the past year I have been working very hard at my current job to produce a good record. Thanks for the help and I will keep on trying harder!

Originally Posted by JohnBurke View Post
Employers are generally very cautious about badmouthing a former employee. Typically, when speaking of a former employee, an employer will either give a positive reference, or at worst, say "he worked here." Giving a negative report can have legal ramifications to an employer.

If you were late multiple times, didn't fill out the paperwork correctly, and badmouthed the company, and it's been documented, then there's no amount of explanation that you can do to change that. The best defense your former employer will have is documented truth. Do you have documentation to show differently?

Don't try to come up with excuses or explanations. Its either true or its not. We don't care if you don't like to get up in the morning. We don't care if you were burned out. We don't care if you had a slow car. It's either true or not true. Your comments here sound like you're looking for an excuse, and that your former employers comments are true.

The best thing you can do for yourself at this stage is to prove that you're not what your former employer said. That is, put distance between you and your former employer. Put some solid work history between you. Get a good track record going and plan to leave your current employer with a good recommendation. Don't be late. Do not badmouth your current employer. Show up early. Make a point to compliment your employer or be constructive, or say nothing at all. Never pass up a perfectly good opportunity to keep your mouth shut. Watch your paperwork and be more careful.

Remember the old saying that attitude determines altitude? it's not just a matter of pointing your spinner at the sky.