Thread: "Other" Time
View Single Post
Old 06-25-2013, 06:20 PM
propfails2FX
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2007
Position: FO

Originally Posted by Elcid93 View Post
On one of the military conversion spreadsheets on this site states "*Note: Copilot OTHER time is not included in SIC time nor is any student time. This is based on FAR 61.51 (logging second in command). The KC-135 is a dual pilot required airplane; therefore both the primary and secondary time as co-pilot, assumes I was at one set of controls. The other time based on the best information available could be counted as SIC in the overall time based on an article in Dec 98 issue of Airline Pilot Careers, page 31. Article stated "Since you are all required crew members according to military regulations….all the time in flight may be logged as SIC, or if you signed for the aircraft, as PIC." I did not use this approach for SIC but I did for PIC because of the 90% applied (more conservetive)."

I can't find this article anymore online, so I don't know if it is even worth talking about. But I'm curious to know what other heavily augmented crews did about this.
So am I. My handwritten USN logbook includes Special Crew Time in the Aircraft Commander column (as did every other A/C from my squadron). I can't get logtenpro to duplicate this trait, but it should go on my application as the Navy recognizes this as PIC time.

Any other USN augmented crew guys deal with this while applying for jobs?