View Single Post
Old 06-27-2013, 05:00 AM
Bozo the pilot
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: May 2013

Originally Posted by CFI Guy View Post
I've been working as an independent CFI for the past 5yrs. I've busted my ass to build up a solid business and have steadily increased my rates as my experience and reputation grows. I'm on pace to have my best year so far and break 85k this year. I'm also thinking of buying a plane to lease out to students and add an extra $1000 a month or so to the bottom line which puts me past the 100K mark. I'm also managing a couple light aircraft and dabbling in brokering. My students want to purchase their own aircraft so why not make some money in the process? Let me know when you hit that mark at the regionals.

I'm not really sure what this thread is about. Obviously if your desire is to make it to a major airline it's not going to happen by flying G.A. aircraft. However, just because you are a CFI it doesn't mean you have to do pattern work in a 172 all day and make $15/hr. You have to treat it as a business and work for yourself. You also have to go where the money and weather is good.

That being said I too have been weighing going to the regionals to "fly a jet" but I can't walk away from the business I've worked so hard to build. Luckily I've recently got some SIC time in a biz jet to satisfy my craving and break the monotony. I think I could keep doing the instructing thing for a while if I could switch things up once in a while.

Unfortunately, I won't get 15 days off every month. I usually take every Sunday/monday off. Next week is the 4th so I plan on hanging out with my friends and having some beers. I'm working this Sunday to finish recurrent training for a student in his twin cessna. He's a semi famous tv actor and pays me a lot. Plus his plane has AC. I plan on taking the last week of July off for a little summer vacation and the best part is I don't need anyone's permission.
Sounds like youve done really well-congrats.
I wouldn't teach again for all the whiskey in Ireland.