View Single Post
Old 06-27-2013, 12:28 PM
Bozo the pilot
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: May 2013

Originally Posted by Cubdriver View Post
Here we go again. $5000 is pocket change, salt peanuts, walking around money, disposable income when you are an airline looking at serious labor costs such as

• training and simulator time
• employee retention (loss) issues
• larger salary raises each year for employees
• starting salary increases to equal similar professions
• COL raises
• performance bonuses, I could go on.

BozoPilot, you regard what amount to petty lures as serious evidence there is a shortage of some type, but I totally disagree they are anything like that. They are simply cash lures hung out like cheap jewelry to lure people who are on the fence into doing something for short term advantage with no implication to the long term. Dime store candy. One-time retractable offers. When you see a 25% across the board salary raise for all line pilots working for the firm, or a 12.5% raise if you like to argue numbers, or maybe 5%- THEN you have evidence of a genuine line pilot shortage.

Yep. I am surprised how pervasive this delusion about a pilot shortage is. A few cheap, retractable incentives pop up at a few firms, and the downtrodden masses shout "pilot shortage" from the mountaintops. Pure baloney as far as I am concerned. It is wishful thinking driven by loads of prior hardship.
Cubby I dont care if there's a shortage-just explain why they feel the need to be generous. Have they been in the past? Why now? Ive never once said theres a shortage btw. But you keep trying to explain why you bounce interviews by claiming that there's an abundance of pilots...