View Single Post
Old 06-28-2013, 10:40 AM
Par18
On Reserve

Joined APC: Jun 2013
Position: AV-8B

Thanks for the replies guys. I have every intention of getting to the training command after this non-flying gig to build up the hours required as a backup. I'll be glad to fly T-45's or T-6's so I'm sure I can get there one way or another. I believe that any training command IP's are also able to snag a CFI ticket by taking some sort of written test just as I did with my commercial/inst post winging. However, if I do go the training command route, I will absolutely be leaving the Marine Corps when it ends. From there, the Guard will be my first choice.

As far as the airlines go, I'm not too crazy about the idea of taking a pay cut at that point in my life so I'll have to see what the situation is like. I just want to make sure I have as many options available to me as possible. Also, is there some sort of military to civilian hours conversion formula or is my 800hrs simply viewed as 800hrs?

Sledy,

That is good to hear. I might have some hope after all. Please check your inbox when you have the chance.

USMCFLYR,

You are absolutely correct about the risk associated with flight time when it comes to the fleet. I don't have the quals needed to get to the RAG so that is not even an option. The C-12/35 gig seems to be a total hookup job and unless you have some seniority and know the right people, it probably won't happen. These are all the reasons why i'm leaning heavily towards the training command. I have no doubt that I will be at 1500+ hours by the end of that. I also plan on flying on my own just for fun over the next 3 years so i'm sure I'll build up at least a few hundred hours and pick up some more tickets.

My next question for you guys has to do with the actual application process for the Gaurd. Even if I choose to begin that process right now, who should I contact? Is there an LNO at each unit who can entertain my questions? I'm originally from CA and I have thought about making Fresno my first stop since they have a Viper unit out there. But like I said, at this point, I'm just trying to figure out who to talk to. Once again, thanks for the replies. I'm looking forward to learning all about the process.

Par