View Single Post
Old 06-28-2013, 05:46 PM
USMCFLYR
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2008
Position: FAA 'Flight Check'

Originally Posted by deadstick35 View Post
Going to a training slot is good for the hours. Would you be able go to a T-44 unit? I'm just thinking about the ME turbine time. Serious question for others, wouldn't he have a hard time getting a non-RJ like a pilot who has 1000 TPIC in a Caravan and little/no multi time?
I've never heard of a strike/fighter guy going to the multi-engine pipeline to instruct.

I'm 100% the USAF probably does things different, but the Hornet community did have slightly different syllabuses for the different communities coming through transition training. If you were a former TomCat guy then the FTR syllabus was shortened and if you were a A-6 guy then obviously the strike syllabus was shortened.

Bunk -
In addition, being a Harrier guy, if you want to become an air to air guy, you will. But be careful what you wish for, once you are a BFM guy, you stay one. Three BFM hops a day gets rough to be rough on the body and spirit I hear.
Come on now!
Actually I enjoyed the strike and BFM and 2v2 stuff much more than other aspects of the FTR syllabus, but BFM hops are pretty much cream of the crop. I will say though - and only experiencing it from the student side of the training command - those BFM flights were pretty scripted. If I hadn't gotten my last of orders I would have been looking to join you down there in Kingsville!

Par - you asked about conversions. Those vary by airline and you'll have to be careful to apply the correct conversion factor to your times. There is a debate about whether to apply those factors is you already meet the required minimums - probably safest to have both ready - but you shouldn't nee them by the time you leave the training command.
Once you are instructing in the training command - go over to Sheppard Air and look into the military equivalency instructor ratings. There are a few good threads here on APC too.