Old 06-29-2013, 06:08 AM
bunk22
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2007
Position: Retired Naval Aviator

Originally Posted by USMCFLYR View Post
Bunk -

Come on now!
Actually I enjoyed the strike and BFM and 2v2 stuff much more than other aspects of the FTR syllabus, but BFM hops are pretty much cream of the crop. I will say though - and only experiencing it from the student side of the training command - those BFM flights were pretty scripted. If I hadn't gotten my last of orders I would have been looking to join you down there in Kingsville!
Most are scripted but you know, do it every day and you get somewhat good at it, the basics at least. The stories, maybe fish stories, of the Goshawk drivers beating up on new/relatively inexperienced Hornets in 2 v 1 scenarios. I'm guessing most of the top notch fleet guys go to the FRS...though that's not always the case for all communities as I went to the FRS as an IP But these guys get beat up doing BFM, 3 times a day, day after day. The 45 seat isn't exactly the best for the back. I did a few BFM flights and dozen plus tac form flights towards the end. The tac forms weren't too bad on the back as I recall. Most guys like doing the weps stuff, going on dets. I had to retire but just about every IP can qual with weps or CQ but CQ depends on the number of traps. I think it's down to 120 traps to be a lead safe.