View Single Post
Old 04-04-2007, 06:14 AM
rickair7777
Prime Minister/Moderator

Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Engines Turn Or People Swim

Originally Posted by YAKflyer View Post
Rick you usually are spot on, but in this post you are incorrect on several points. First JA will NEVER merge the two companies because it will remove the ability to whipsaw the two pilot groups against each other. We can end any other discussion here for that reason, but I want to correct you on another points. Should SKW pilots vote ALPA to represent them, there WILL NOT be an automatic integration into one large seniority list without SKW management agreeing and they won't do that because of the first point I made. The only way to get one list without ASA and SKW companies being merged would be to sue for single carrier status with the National Labor Relations Board. This would be done by the pilots of both groups because they feel they would be stronger in dealing with management with a larger unified group. Should the board agree the two companies are a de-facto single entity they could award single carrier status at which time the two groups could join together. An example of this happening is when the different Eagle groups forced AMR to treat them as a single group. Lastly you are wrong about ALPA policy requiring DOH integration in the event of a merger. Point in fact is ALPA merger policy says one group can not be given a windfall over another group. The most common integration will have a pilot at the 50% of his list end up at the 50% of the merged list. At the big airlines this would be adjusted for aircraft size if one airline had bigger planes than the other airline. The sky will not fall for SKW pilots if they vote ALPA in.
Thanks for the info. I agree that SKW would prefer seperate certificates, for a variety of reasons, but I suspect that the pilot groups would go for one list if SKW votes in alpa...that may not be a bad thing.