View Single Post
Old 07-02-2013, 03:40 PM
PotatoChip
Layover Master

Joined APC: Jan 2013
Position: Seated

First of all, good for you for taking your health seriously! It's not always easy, and this job does make it even more difficult. 70%-80% of body image is nutrition, the rest is exercise. It doesn't take a lot of bad nutrition to counter any exercise you do. Running/cardio is good, but as others have mentioned, lifting weights is great. I highly recommend learning good form and lifting some heavy weights. Body weight exercises are great as well (think push ups, pull ups, dips etc).

I personally love to run, so I won't be giving that up, but weights are essential as we age. We sit on our duffs far too much without using any muscles to capacity. The weigh lifting sessions needn't be any more than 30 minutes 3 times a week. I know VERY ripped guys who use that cycle, you don't need a lot. If you have access, I recommend full body/large muscle group exercises such as squats, dead lifts, bench presses, lat pulls, cleans etc. These will work out large muscle groups as well as other your core and thus burn the most calories.

On the nutrition front, find out what works for you. Give an eating a plan a month to see how you feel/respond to it. Do you have more energy? Less? Are you hungry a lot? Do you enjoy it? Try low-carb, high-fat. Try Paleo. Try whole food vegan. I personally am a fan of whole foods, but still eat more processed sh** than I should. Good luck experimenting!

Please feel free to ask for more info.