Thread: AA reserve
View Single Post
Old 07-04-2013, 04:03 AM
7576FO
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2007
Position: 737 CA MIA

Originally Posted by Sliceback View Post
You're bidding the end of one month and the beginning of the next month off. Mini vacation every other month. The downside is the out of phase month changeover means you're on call for a long period of days.

I've been in that barrel. It's not fun in the out of phase month but it's a choice that gives the bidder 10-12 day vacations every other month.

The big risk is doing it while junior on reserve. Senior guys on reserve at the start of the month can pass. Junior guys can't. If they're in the out of phase month changeover it can be a rough time.

I'm not slamming you but, No i'm not. I'm near the bottom. For the last 1.5 years i've had 2 people below me. So I get the next to very last reserve lines.

I've never until last month had the first 6 days off. I've never had the last 6 days off ever.

Also, Sliceback is JFK based, and there is a difference between bases reserve lines. Traditionally JFK (LGA base) reserve lines some have the first 7 days off and/or the last 7 days off. In MIA you'll only get the first/last 6 days off. When Q'ing the base planners they will tell you that LGA is a commuter base. That is there only reason.

I tend to get reserve lines that have 3 breaks of small days off, instead of the more senior reserve lines that have time off at beginning of month or end of month.

I just find this very interresting that, I come on here and tell people that tonight I begin my 4th trip in a row with no days off, and one guy Sliceback implies I did this to myself? NO WAY!

Another will say "Oh, I only fly one trip a month."

I spoke with the Chief Pilot yesterday, he said "Wow!" but he couldn't get off the phone fast enough.

For those that know, it was the newer MIA chief.

I spoke with a UAL friend yesterday and did confirm, this would never happen at UAL.

So to be clear, I did not do this to myself being on reserve from June 22- July 7 and flying every single day 16 days with no day off. My 24 off's in 7 were in EZE, GRU,EZE,EZE