View Single Post
Old 07-08-2013, 04:57 PM
Adlerdriver
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2007
Position: 767 Captain

Originally Posted by F15andMD11 View Post
Yea, I understand what you're saying about rusty but...not impressed. For a ferry flt sure. But a revenue flt no! I've watched guys shut-off the automation. "Look what a good pilot I am." What do you think the media's and the company's reaction will be when they learn you have the automation off and you were, God forbid, involved in a mishap. Especially those with safety redundancies like auto throttles. You'd be hung out to dry. Just wait until we learn Asiana had AT off. The pilots will be even more roasted. IMO once you're in the big leagues flying heavy metal those "look at me" days are over!! For your passengers sake!! Sorry, I'll get off my soap box. Just my safety training.
Really? I know you personally have got thousands of hours in jets with no auto-throttles and now they're a safety issue? Come on. Why not auto-land out of every approach if it's safer? Every airline out there probably has an MEL available for auto-throttles. Should the pilots still refuse the jet?

I always scoff the pilots that don't disconnect the automation and manually fly the jet (when it's appropriate). They owe that to their fellow crewmembers and passengers, IMO. It's their responsibility to be proficient flying their aircraft to include basics like airspeed control via manual manipulation of the throttles. I honestly can't remember the last time I landed with auto-throttles on. I've also flown two jets from ANC-OAK in the last year with the A/T MELed - and it really didn't matter to me because I do it all the time. If your airspeed isn't in your crosscheck exactly the same amount no matter the status of your auto-throttles, then you need to stop using them until it is, IMO. Off my soapbox now.