View Single Post
Old 07-08-2013, 05:53 PM
HIFLYR
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2007
Position: 777 Captain in Training

Originally Posted by F15andMD11 View Post
Yea, I understand what you're saying about rusty but...not impressed. For a ferry flt sure. But a revenue flt no! I've watched guys shut-off the automation. "Look what a good pilot I am." What do you think the media's and the company's reaction will be when they learn you have the automation off and you were, God forbid, involved in a mishap. Especially those with safety redundancies like auto throttles. You'd be hung out to dry. Just wait until we learn Asiana had AT off. The pilots will be even more roasted. IMO once you're in the big leagues flying heavy metal those "look at me" days are over!! For your passengers sake!! Sorry, I'll get off my soap box. Just my safety training.
Not say you but I see many guys who have become autopilot addicts and in the sim now cannot fly the aircraft to even close to ATP tolerances without a flight director and AT. Aircraft can be distpatched with AT's inop and more than one failure can lead to no flight director, bad time to learn to fly again. I hand fly when the situation/workload allows and personally feel that is a good thing.