Thread: The end is near
View Single Post
Old 07-11-2013, 05:38 AM
USMCFLYR
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2008
Position: FAA 'Flight Check'

A response from a co-worker on the questions posed. This person is still in touch with some invloved in the program to some small degree.

Had a somewhat lengthy email conversation last night with some of the bubbas. Bottom line is this is way early in the game and the X-47 is a technology demonstrator.
As such, I don't think they've seriously begun to think through how they will integrate the thing into the CV NATOPS procedurally or who/how they will make the waveoff decision.
One of the photos that I made fun of was of the thing landing and in the background are all the LSOs looking down the deck as if they were critiquing the landing.
It is my understanding that, somehow, the Air Boss and the LSO's have waveoff authority and the AGO (Arresting Gear Officer) can still call the deck foul when Airman Schmuckatelli wanders across the foul line. For now, the contractors are in that loop as well.

It is my impression that right now the thing is almost completely automated/programmed to fly a profile. Assume when it's coming back aboard they fly into into a recovery window of some sort where it "locks on" to a signal on the boat. And yes, calm seas and day VFR seem to be the order of the day for the moment.