Thread: Silver Airways
View Single Post
Old 07-22-2013, 01:17 PM
Propspilot
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2013

Originally Posted by Chrisw View Post

First off, we were hired when there were no other jobs. Nobody was hiring anyone and people were even hired with less than 300 hours and think they owe the company nothing?? Think again. Get your CFI(and pass it the first time!) and work as an instructor for $15k a year to build time or build turbine multi at silver? We should all be somewhat grateful we had the opportunity to build time when there was nothing else out there. I loved instructing but this has been a great experience and resume builder. The difference now is things have changed. Every regional is hiring and all of them pay better by a large margin.

Also, I may be the only one here to admit this but I do enjoy the job. There is nothing I would rather do. I work with good people and have mostly descent trips out of my base. I just feel that everyone goes to a turboprop operator as a stepping stone to get to upgrade and build PIC. Now with the results of a staffing bid right around the corner there are likely to be 30+ people junior to me as captains? This does not bode well for employee retention.

No airline is perfect. We all want to fly a wide body for 300k a year and 20 days off a month. The road to getting the dream jobs is tough. Thankfully I actually really like my job and plan to make the best of it but unfairly treating pilots will make people quit faster than they can be replaced and that may make upgrade impossible. Time will tell but there is a lot for us all to consider in regards to our careers right now.
Why is this? The 1000 hour 121 rule?

Also, I agree with just about everything you've said here. I don't know where some peoples sense of entitlement comes from that they belittle or just try to suck any enthusiasm somebody has right out of them. The ones that leave will be posting how great their new airline is for about oh..... Two months. Then it will be the same old...

That being said. I wish you all luck. I really hope that the grass is greener where your going...