View Single Post
Old 07-22-2013, 05:15 PM
Nevets
Banned

Joined APC: Dec 2007
Position: EMB 145 CPT

Originally Posted by AxialFlow View Post
Originally Posted by Nevets View Post
The standard has been set by each union pilot group every time they negotiate a new contract and its working because all those airlines are profitable.
The industry and its history are rife with examples of contract setbacks. Contracts are subject to not only the ups and downs of the industry, but the business plans set forth by management. The point still stands: No set standard.

Whatever Mesa/TSA/Gojet/RAH or any other regional bids is done by management, not by the pilots.
Done by management, that in turn sets pilot pay. Latest example: PCL pilots being told they would either take a pay cut to keep flying, or they shutter the doors.

The Skywest pilots want to blame places like pinnacle for downward pressure on compensation yet give no credit for upward pressure and their increasing compensation when times were good for comair, awac, EGL, and XJT.
I think those pilot groups were individually given plenty of credit for the contracts they negotiated.

So to my original point to you, even if we do agree that pinnacle is a drag for everyone, that doesn't make it ok for everyone or anyone else to also be a drag as well. That's what I meant that two wrongs don't make a right.
But Skywest ISN’T a drag. That’s MY point. Where’s the outrage at the unionized carriers that are a drag on the industry? On the surface, it looks like someone saying “If I gotta give up 2% of my salary, everybody else should, too!” Where’s the maturity in that? How about we all just quit looking in our neighbor's yards, and go back to mowing our own lawns?
They are a drag on the XJT negotiations and by extension on this sector of the industry. It is fact that Skywest tied themselves to the XJT negotiations by agreeing to get whatever the XJT pilots get for 401k matching, health benefits, and scope. By anchoring 3000 additional pilots to another pilot group's negotiations, it takes more negotiating capital because the costing would include 7500 pilots rather than 4500 (which Skywest pilots are not contributing to) to keep what we have in those sections since they are all better than what Skywest has already, much less try to improve on those sections. More than likely, it'll cost us too much negotiating capital to keep all those items and they'll just concentrate on scope. If we do get any improvements in other places, skywest management will be hard pressed not to offer something up to their pilots, minus 2% of course, in order to perpetuate the whipsaw.

That clear things up a bit?