View Single Post
Old 03-11-2005, 04:02 PM
captain_drew
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2005
Position: FredEx Captain-Retired
Default Addendum to FredEx hiring

Originally Posted by Freight Dog
FedEx is still hiring. Plans to hire up to 300 total in 2005.
Yes, they are! But the number quoted is not quite accurate. I just got off the hook with my old S/O (now a 727 right seater). He reports that the word is out in the crew room that the hire number for this year is closer to 500. A class of 34 started a couple weeks ago and a class of 17 started this Monday.

In addition, he says they ARE hiring directly into the right seat in some instances. . as they did a few years ago. If you are interested in rapid career progression, the son of a friend was hired about 6 months ago (6 months of probation to go) and he was just awarded a bid to the MD-11 right seat at LAX!

Flying nights is NOT at all glamorous, and some believe, detrimental to your health. But, there are NO Pax or F/A’s to deal with. And you get to fly “direct” on most legs and because of the hours, don’t get hung up in the “heavy traffic” the Pax folks do.

Over nearly 30 years I developed a severe caffeine habit <g> . . trying to stay up all night. .and REALLY appreciate sleeping in my own bed -at night, now. But, although they are well into their usual ugly contract negotiations, there will probably be a pay raise in the next contract. . while everybody else is giving concessions. Apparently business is BOOMING . . so the pilot group is in the driver’s seat.

Good luck. All in all, being a freight dog treated me well.

Last edited by captain_drew; 03-11-2005 at 04:06 PM.