View Single Post
Old 07-27-2013, 03:49 PM
C-130Driver
Line Holder

Joined APC: Sep 2006
Position: Doggy Style

MU,

In an effort to keep this somewhat short and to the point, I would agree with a good bit that has already been posted. A few things to consider:
1. If pilot training is the ultimate goal, don't narrow yourself down to one command/state/aircraft or whatever. I would check the baseops.net job listings as was already mentioned and then start contacting all of the guard & reserve units that may interest you. Talk to any guys that you may know that are in the units.
2. After you get some contacts and find out who may hiring, then get out to meet the units you're interested in. Call ahead to make sure the guys are around (i.e.-not deployed) and head over during a drill weekend and meet the guys. A good resume is important but depending on the unit culture, they may place a bigger emphasis on what type of dude you are. You may be able to spout regs, fly great, and generally be the best pilot in the room, but if no one can stand you, they probably don't want to deploy with you and/or spend 20 years with you in the same unit. (And yes, plenty of guys do stay in the same guard unit for a career. The reserves; in general, they move around a bit more than guard folks tend to)
3. I would tend to agree that it probably wouldn't be your best bet to enlist now. If you were still in college and had a few years to go, this can be a great way to work into a pilot slot but post graduation; it might just slow you down.
4. Lastly, the recruiter may be a good place to start but don't buy into all that they might try to sell you. They absolutely cannot, and I can't believe they actually would, guarantee you a pilot slot in any guard or reserve unit. While they may be great people and have good intentions, trusting a recruiter like you might a used car salesman would probably be in your best interest.

These are just my opinions and I'm sure someone on this chat board would disagree with what I've written. What you're doing is good. Start asking questions. Get a bunch of different viewpoints and then make your decisions based on what's best for you. Whatever you decide, good luck and don't quit if it's something you really want to do.