View Single Post
Old 07-29-2013, 05:28 PM
captainv
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2008
Position: Knuckle-dragging line pilot

MikeF16, ask away.

- To answer your questions:

1 - pointy nose guys do fine. I'd guess we get more heavy guys as applicants overall, but maybe because they feel more comfortable with the flying/lifestyle. Most of the interview focuses on how well you'd adapt to what we do. I'm sure you've spent time in far corners of the planet, so do long legs, dozing for dollars, and fighting for landings sound good?

2. To add what NightIP aptly described, if you start a trip in your crew base, you can be taxed on what the company paid for your ticket/hotel room prior to starting your trip. If you take crew rest in base at the end of the trip, same thing (although most of us waive it to get home earlier). Enforcement is spotty - some CVG guys say they never get taxed, whereas I get hit every time I pass through JFK, but that hardly ever happens (a quirk of the JFK 767 base).

On the plus side, you'll never have to move again, or you can move wherever you want - either way, you've got a guaranteed ride to work, every time.

3. Pay depends on the airplane/crew base you're in. On the 767, I'd say breaking guarantee is the exception, not the norm. Most guys would say we're overstaffed right now, and some of us are getting sent home when we get near/over guarantee. The 747 sounds more solid, but the flying has slowed as of late. Forecast to pick back up in October. No matter what bid award I get, I assume every trip is home reserve/min guarantee until proven otherwise.